Engineering Faculty Quality Assurance Cell (EFQAC) was established in 2014 with the purpose of creating a culture that seeks to continually improve the quality of the academic and administrative activities of the Faculty. It was renamed to Engineering Faculty Internal Quality Assurance Cell (EFIQAC) in September 2021 in accordance with the recommendations of the KDU Center for Quality Assurance.
Composition of EFIQAC
- Dean, Faculty of Engineering
- Chairperson, EFIQAC
- Heads of Departments
- A representative from each department
- Training Engineer, Industrial Training Unit
- Chairperson, Curriculum Development Committee
- Chairperson, Faculty Research Cell
- Chairperson, Information Technology Cell
- Academic member of the Faculty who will act as the Convener
Any other relevant person/s shall be invited to attend a specific committee meeting as required
Responsibilities and Duties of EFIQAC
- Liase with KDU Center for Quality Assurance (CQA) and other external quality assurance agencies as well as relevant international agencies in facilitating activities related to quality assurance of Faculty of Engineering (FoE).
- Promote quality enhancement activities within the faculty liaising with all departments and committees.
- Support the faculty to prepare for external QA Institutional Reviews (IRs), and in meeting accreditation requirements.
- Represent the interests of the Faculty of Engineering (FOE) at KDU Senate Standing Committee for Quality Assurance.
- Offer guidance and assistance to engineering departments in defining programme objectives and outcomes, graduate profiles and course curricula which are in accordance with national reference points such as Sri Lanka Qualifications Framework and Subject Benchmark Statements.
- Offer guidance in new engineering program development and Curriculum development.
- Collate and analyse Faculty Quality Assurance (QA) data such as peer review, student feedback and external reviews.
- Promote and coordinate all quality assurance related activities within the faculty through appropriate means and facilitation of the good practices at interdepartmental level.
- Develop internal QA policies and standard operational procedures necessary for the Faculty of Engineering.
- Devise and suggest additional QA measures or changes to the existing measures based on the data collected on various QA indicators such as peer feedback, student feedback and external reviews.
- Develop standard operating procedures for the academic and other activities of the Faculty for the approval of the Faculty Board.
- Monitor the implementation of follow-up actions recommended in Faculty/programme/ subject review reports.
- Organize workshops and seminars on quality related themes and facilitate internalization of the quality culture.
Reflective Practices Seminars/workshops
The Reflective Practices seminar series organised by the EFIQAC provides a common platform for collaborative growth and value addition to existing practices of the Faculty staff. In addition, the cell conducts capacity building workshops for the academic staff of the Faculty.
|Date||Title of Seminar/Workshop||Resource Person|
|12/09/2022||Workshop on Methods and Tools for Measuring Student Performance||Eng. KM Vignarajah|
|24/08/2022||Reflections on Facilitating Problem-Based Learning (PBL) in Construction Management Modules for Civil Engineering Undergraduates||Dr. Ramya Kumanayake|
|19/07/2022||Occupational Safety, Health and Environment||Prof. TL Weerawardane|
|20/07/2022||Reflections on Divergent Assessment in Assessing Problem-Solving Competencies||Dr. RMPS Bandara|
|29/06/2022||Reflective Practices on Scientific Writing||Prof. TL Weerawardane|
|31/05/2022||Strategies for Effective Lesson Planning||Dr. TMWRMB Samarakoon|
|26/04/2022||Effective TLA with Formative Assessments and Feedback||Eng. KM Vignarajah|
|22/03/2022||Peer Observation Process||Mr. V. Sivahar Director – CQA,
University of Moratuwa
|24/11/2021||Second-Guessing (Part II): A Critical Attribute for Success in Teaching and Research in Engineering & Technology||Snr. Prof. Sisil Kumarawadu
University of Moratuwa
|27/10/2021||Becoming a Reflective Practitioner: Teaching for Employment and Learning for Knowledge||Dr. Maneesha S. Wanasighe-Pasqual
University of Colombo
|15/09/2021||Second-guessing (Part I): A Critical Attribute for Success in Teaching and Research in Engineering & Technology||Snr. Prof. Sisil Kumarawadu
University of Moratuwa
|20/07/2021||How to Conduct Effective Online Exams||Dr. Sumudu Edirisighe|
|16/06/2021||How I Extend my Teaching Approaches||Dr. (Mrs)WCDK Fernando|
|20/05/2021||My Experiences in Continuous Assessment of Student Performance||Snr Prof Rohan Lucas|
|21/04/2021||Reflective Practices in Teaching and Learning||Dr. NS Miguntanna|
|How My Experience Helped to Embrace Diversity and Enhance Inclusivity||Capt (Retd) SU Dampage|