Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Honours) in Marine Engineering
Course title : Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Honours)
Abbreviated title : BSc Eng (Hons)
Field of Specialization : Marine Engineering
Medium of instruction : English
The course duration of the degree programme is 4 years (eight semesters), and an additional 6 month period is allocated for military training especially for officer cadets. The students in the Faculty of Engineering select their specializations at the end of the first semester. Presently, the department accommodates students who fall into following categories.
- The officer cadets permanently recruited to the Sri Lanka Navy
- The commissioned officers
While providing overall knowledge to produce a competent engineer, a thorough knowledge of Marine machinery, equipment, and systems that help to keep a Ship Running are aimed in four years Bachelor Degree in Marine Engineering. This includes various topics related to the ship’s internal systems as well as the design, production, and operation of ships. Ship’s internal systems are covered through topics and practical related to Marine Engineering Knowledge and the design, production and operation of ships are covered through basic and advanced Naval Architecture topics and many other subjects specific to the field. Overall knowledge required for an engineer is offered with various Science, Information Technology, Advanced Mathematics, Management and Accounting subjects and the six month Industrial Training in Maritime Industry helps student to augment their practical knowledge.
With 135 GPA credits and 15 NGPA credits the student is qualified for the graduation. Meantime the Marine Engineering cadets would earn 35 MGPA credits on top of the above for qualifying for their graduation. Upon graduation civil students are entertained to sail with merchant navy as a cadet or join with a shore base firm, while the Marine Engineering cadets are employed by Sri Lanka Navy.
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply knowledge of mathematics, basic sciences and engineering science to Marine Engineering practices and designs.
- Problem Analysis: Investigate and analyze complex Marine Engineering problems with scientific research methods and engineering knowledge.
- Design/Development of Solution: Design system components and processes complying with relevant standards.
- Investigations: Conduct investigations of complex problems using research based knowledge and research methods.
- Modern Tool Usage: Apply computational, laboratory, field techniques and software tools including modeling and simulations in Marine Engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Assess social, health, safety, legal and cultural issues related to Ship building and Marine Engineering practices with integrated solutions.
- Sustainability & Environment: Provide practical and sustainable solutions for Marine Engineering problems.
- Ethics: Conduct engineering practices while adhering to professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Individual and Teamwork: Function as an individual and as a leader or a member in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Communication: Communicate effectively with engineering community and the society at large.
- Project Management and Finance: Apply knowledge of management and business principles in Marine Engineering context.
- Life-long Learning: Engage in continuous professional development and life-long learning.
Marine Engineering Graduate Employment Profile
|Category/ Field||Occupation/ Career in SL Navy|
|Engineer||Marine Engineer (On board ships)|
|Workshop Engineer at workshops specialized for maintenance in Offshore Patrol Vessel, Fast Missile Vessel, Landing Ship Tanker, Fast Gun Boat, Fast Attack Craft, Coastal Patrol Craft, Inshore Patrol Craft and small crafts used for asymmetric warfare|
|Manager/ Project Engineer (Inshore Patrol Craft Construction Project)|
|Engineer in charge of Machining Workshop|
|Marine Engineer (Machinery Testing & Trials)|
|Marine Engineer (Quality Assurance)|
|Project Engineer for business ventures/ national projects managed by Sri Lanka Navy|
|Academic Researcher||Instructor/ Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer in training establishments at SL Navy and other institutions related to maritime studies.|
|Research & Development officer|
|Monitoring & Directing Officer|
|Alternative positions||Nuclear, Biological, Chemical Defence Officer at on board ships|
|Fire fighting & Damage Control Officer at on board ships|
|Staff positions at Naval Headquarters|
|Engineer Officer in SL Navy special forces|
|Inspection & supervision positions at SL Navy|
|Officer in Charge of Non Destructive Testing laboratory|