B.Sc. Eng. – 4 years full time course
The subject of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering covers operation and maintenance aspects n and maintenance. The broad subject areas covered during this programme include aircraft structures, propulsion, aerodynamics and workshop & hangar practices. Practical training is provided with in house laboratory facilities and by utilizing actual aircraft available in the department. A strong practical base is supported by conducting field visits and training at aircraft engineering and flying formations of the Sri Lanka Air Force.
The programme is conducted by well qualified internal and external academic staff, having specialization in a variety of distinct sub-disciplines within Aircraft Maintenance Engineering field. Further, assistance of well experienced resource personnel from Civil Aviation Authority is also taken to conduct this programme. This programme promotes research culture, industry collaboration and development of the aviation field both locally and internationally.
Successful completion of the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering degree programme will lead to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Engineering in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, and prepares students to confidently take on positions as competent Aircraft Maintenance Engineers in the Aviation field. Further, this course facilitates the preliminary requirements of obtaining the Aircraft Maintenance Licence issued by CAA SL.
Total GPA Credits: 135
Total NGPA Credits: 15
Total MGPA Credits: 35
Programme Educational Objectives:
To produce outstanding Aircraft Maintenance Engineering graduates who are capable of
- Applying their knowledge and skills to solve relevant engineering problems in the context of Aircraft Maintenance.
- Meeting the industry demand for maintaining both commercial and military aircraft fleets keeping in par with the regulations set forth by airworthiness authorities.
- Envisaging innovative ways to develop and apply new technologies in relation to Aircraft Maintenance.
- Functioning well in teams, communicate well, continue enhancing their professional competence, and understand the impact of engineering solutions.
To nurture Aircraft Maintenance Engineering graduates who will be able to;
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply knowledge of mathematics, basic sciences and engineering sciences to Aircraft Maintenance Engineering practices.
- Problem Analysis: Investigate and analyze complex problems with scientific research methods and engineering knowledge.
- Design / Development of solutions: Design systems, components and processes complying with relevant standards.
- Investigations: Conduct investigations of complex problems using research-based knowledge and research methods
- Modern Tool Usage: Apply computational, laboratory, field techniques and IT tools in engineering activities.
- The Engineer and Society: Assess social, health, safety, legal and cultural issues related to Aircraft Maintenance Engineering practices and propose integrated solutions.
- Sustainability & Environment: Provide practical and sustainable solutions for Aircraft Maintenance Engineering problems.
- Ethics: Conduct engineering practices while adhering to professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Individual and Team Work: Function as an individual and as a leader or a member in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Communication: Communicate effectively with engineering community and the society at large.
- Project Management and Finance: Apply knowledge of management and business practices in the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering context.
- Life-long learning: Engage in continuous professional development and life- long learning